Monday, June 27, 2011

Tea Party or Planting Pots??





Food Craving: Hmm... I was thinking something like lemon bars but now I'm feeling more of a good ole banana popsicle :)







Song Recommendation: Us by Regina Spektor. She has a BEAUTIFUL voice and I actually quite enjoy this music video which is normally a deal-breaker on songs for me.







New found love: This is actually not new at all, but it is something worth sharing.. The Good Home Co. Lavendar Sheet Spray! It is obviously spray for your sheets and pillows that leaves a relaxing, long-lasting scent. I have the 4 oz. glass bottle which runs ~ $10. It is amazing!! All of The Good Home Company's products are phospate-free, biodegradable, aren't tested on animals, and mostly made from vegetable surfactants! -So if you're like me and actually care about that stuff then it makes this stuff even cooler;) anyways... look it up-I recommend this product!






Alright, now to the juicy stuff. As mentioned before, I am currently working at the Utah Botanical Center which has been an amazing experience and taught me something pretty invaluable-- I have a deep love for plants and for being in touch with God's creations on a daily basis. I believe that it's very important for every person to spend at least 10 minutes outside everyday breathing fresh air and pondering the unique beauty each individual day has to offer. I am just fortunate to be able to do this- on the job.





As I begin my quest to incorporate more plants in my home (especially in my upcoming apartment) I have had one specification for this project. These plants gotta be cute!! I can't have dingy terracotta-colored plastic pots covering my window sills and shelves of my room. Like I said- the gotta be cute! So I took myself on a little D.I. (Deseret Industries) run and got THEE cutest plant holders. I got 4 different "plant holders" for under 7 dollars. These are no ordinary plant holders-- they're are recycled plant holders. I bought different items and reused them as plant holders. These first 2 obviously don't have plants in them yet but I thought I'd share them anyways.


This first one is a regular vase- I LOVE the color and shape tho! Found at the D.I. And I plan on using some sort of fern or maybe even some sort of orchid. I don't really know yet :)




This next one is, yes, a shoe. And, yes, I bought them as shoes not as pots. It has a fairly large/medium opening that I can sit a small plant in (keeping it in the original plastic pot so I can take it out to water it and keep the shoe from rotting) I will probably end up using some sort of small succulent.

I didn't get this next one at the D.I. I actually have a small glass bottle collection in my window to begin with. So I took one of my IBC Rootbeer bottles and wrapped ribbons around it and put in a bamboo starter. I really like this one the best I think :)








The next is a tea pot. All that's there is a nylon toe filled with grass seed and soil put in the top of a teapot. The awesome thing about this is after I water my plant and the water seeps to the bottom of the pot I just pore it out of the spout to keep it fresh from molding. It works awesome!




This last one is a giant mug (ALMOST the size of a small soup bowl but not quite) and a red saucer (bought seperately) I kept the small Succulent in its original pot to take it out and water it and allow the excess water to drain through and keep my mug smelling good and fresh! Cute eh?

I have some other ideas I would love to try but is a little hard to explain and have it visually look the same in your mind as mine so dont judge if it doesn't sound cute. I would love to get a vintage chandelier and remove the lights and cord; Hang it up with a vine-y hanging plant that can grow all over the little tiers and arms of the chandelier. Trust me-it looks cute in my mind.


As well as getting an oversized, floppy gardening hat, tying a ribbon that matches my rootbeer bottle planter and have a plant pot sit in the hat with it being turned upside down on the shelf. Pretty simple, but these are different plant holders I'd like to get together before moving back to Logan! If you have ideas I would LOVE to hear 'em!! :)




















2 comments:

  1. We have a rusty old coffee can that Walker found in the mountains. Wrap it with a wide pattern print ribbon and then wrap a thinner, solid print ribbon in the center of that. The contrast of rusty metal and refined material could be fun. I like the shoe. Something else that would be fun would be to get a knife, spoon, fork and placemat arrange them like you would a place setting at a table with a nice white plate. Then put a soup bowl in a saucer on the plate and put a plant in the bowl. A creeping plant that would spill out of the bowl and onto the plate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ster!! I love those ideas! I'm totally doing that!!

    ReplyDelete