Saturday, May 21, 2011

Enchanted Fairy Gardens - HELP :)






























































































I'm asking a favor of all of you, HELP ME :)



So, I'm working at the Utah Botanical Center in Kaysville this summer and amongst my duties one of them is coordinating and carrying out some summer camps. Which really is a lot of fun but I feel like ever since my fall Finals week this last year my creative juices have definitely been on a low!!! So, if you would be so kind to help me out on this one.


One of the camps that I am planning is called "Enchanted Garden Fairies" and I couldn't be more excited to plan it, there will be a tea party, fairy wand making, "magical" flower planting, etc. Its really coming together. But I had this idea that I basically got from when I stayed at Brighton Girls Camp. They do a hike with some of the girls that is called a "Brownie Hike" And they take them through "Brownie Land" There is little landmarks along the trail that they have fiary legends and stories for such as little trickling water "showers" for the Brownies. It is basically a fairyland that is made of all natural things throughout the hiking trail and is pretty neat.



Well between the Brownie Hike and lots and lots of researching of other people who have created these "Garden Fairylands" I have come up with just a smidgen of a beginning!! What I am asking of you at this point is

1) Look at the following pictures of what I have already spent this afternoon creating-give me your honest feedback.

2) Get those creative juices flowing and give me some more ideas of little things I might be able to create -EASILY AND FAST - to add to this little village.

3) Think "Mr. Rogers" and help me come up with a little Legend or Story I can tell to the kids before we go out on this adventure to find the "Fairyland" or whatever we end up calling it.

Let me give you what I've brainstormed up and what I have to work with:

We could tell them this great story that sparks their interest and gives them a background on these garden fairies. Like a legend of the fairies at the Botanical Gardens aand their stories.

Then we could start off by giving them a miniature cupcake or a sip of 7Up or something and call it the magic treat to being able to see fairyland for a short amount of time. We head out on finding this fairyland. Now keep this in mind - [we will be at the Utah Botanical Center, so I have ponds, trails, bridges, a beautiful setting where this could really turn out fun for the kids!]

I wanted to use this time to let the kids be creative and adventurous so I was thinking something along the lines of "The storms lately have destroyed most of the fairy houses so we're going to help them out by building them some new ones" And let the kids gather cattail reeds, sticks, rocks, leaves etc. And be creative building their own miniature house in the fairyland for a fairy out of things by the pond.


Be honest, critical, and creative!!! AND shoot back as many suggestions as you can to me on the ASAP :) Whether its on here, facebook, text me, whatever just help me out cause I've hit a dead end! Thanks soooo much :)


P.S. All of the pictures are just set up in my yard, not in the setting they'll be used in! It should look much cooler at the ponds.

Link to the Utah Botanical Center for the camps we're planning incase your interested!

utahbotanicalcenter.org/htm/education/youth/summercamps

No comments:

Post a Comment